Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day 4

Today has been very interesting!! I already had written my blog for the day but my computer died and I lost the whole thing. Therefore, this note is going to be a shortened version because I’m muy cansada (very tired). I am sitting in a large open room with some of my classmates and our teacher to finish our notes from the day. Well turns out we had some visitors…rats!!!!!!! We saw it from a distance and were alarmed but didn’t panic just yet, we were trying not to be girls. Well the rat snuck over to us while we weren’t paying attention and I thought I saw something move by my feet so I gasped.  My teacher told me to quit over-reacting, and it was sitting right by her feet. She is pregnant by the way, and she took off running with her laptop while it was still plugged into the wall. Funniest thing ever! I was so concerned trying to get on top of something that I almost missed seeing everyone else act like the bunch of girls we apparently are underneath our touch exteriorsJ
So back to the occupational therapy side of our day. I saw my first 3 kids today with Lesley and Debra. It went really well and we were so excited to try and give the promotoras information and the parents. It’s always interesting trying to get our point across in espanolJ The word of the day for me is “ayudar” which means “help.”
We then went to the Miriam Sisters Museum. If any of you like to read, their story is very interesting about Dominican culture during Trujillo’s reign. He was a dictator and killed all those who opposed him, killing over 30,000 people. The sisters started the revolution against him and were assassinated a few years before he was assassinated. Check it out!
We finished the day with Spanish class, reflection, and finishing notes. We hope to be able to join Zumba tomorrow night! We will be visiting the orphanage tomorrow after treating kids so we’re all really excited although we’re getting tired from going nonstop! It’s a blast though and helps us sleep through the nightJ Oh and another highlight of the day, the ILAC center provided us with soda today!! HOLY DELICIOUSNESS!! It’s funny how we take things for granted in the US and the simplest things make up so happy here! Appreciating and loving life. But I have a lot of things to do before I can go to bed and we have to be up at 6:30 tomorrow morning so I’m going to say Buenos noches!!

No comments:

Post a Comment