Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 11

Today was a good day! We rode for an hour to our first house and worked with 3 kids again. One little guy with microcephaly which means "small head". He was so stinkin' cute but cried almost the entire session. It was totally a behavior though because as soon as mom rescued him from us, he stopped crying:) He did let me hold him at the end and started to fall asleep, but he was trying pretty hard to get upset and fight the sleep. So precious. The mom was 15 years old, which means she was 13 when she had him...so sad.

Our ride back to ILAC for lunch was a little interesting. Lesley, Debra and I were in the backseat of a "taxi", more like a car that could break down at any second, and I got the privilege of sitting next to a Dominican man. He tried talking to us a few times and then started to say inappropriate things to us. I shook my finger at him (don't laugh, it's what we're told to do) and told him no. He asked for our numbers, if we had boyfriends, and a few other inappropriate comments but I won't go into full detail of them. Debra and I are now laughing at what he said at the end of our convo in desperation. When I told him I had a boyfriend he said, "but I love you!" in ENGLISH!!! I said," no. no mas!" (no more) and he replied, "I'm sorry, I love you!" LOL it was so hard to stay serious because it's pretty funny that the little English this guy knew was I love you. haha. We then ignored him until he got off:)

We then went to Conani, the orphanage, again today. We're all gotten so much more comfortable there and are better able to work with the kids as we now know what they like and how to better interact with them. For instance, we're aware of the biters, hitters, and children that will take your hand and walk you until you drop:) Today, I asked if I could take the little guy with hydrocephalus out of his crib. In case you don't remember him, he is a little baby boy that has a head the size of a watermelon. He's absolutely the most precious thing ever and doesn't get to be out of his crib for long due to his condition. I was informed that he has a stage 3 ulcer on the back of his head because he has so much weight on his head and pressure sores form when pressure relief is not adequate. This happens to people who are not able to move or feel for themselves when they need to adjust the weight in  their body. Stage 3 is pretty dangerous which makes me incredibly sad. I am in LOVE with this little guy. I had to have a supervisor watch me since he is medically fragile. I took him out of his crib and sat with him in a chair. He cried at first because it was a lot of movement for him and I'm sure he was wondering what in the world was going on.
I pulled out my singing skills from this summer and sang to him. It was amazing to watch him calm down and he even was reaching towards my face. It was the most precious thing ever. I know it sounds sappy but it literally melted my heart. I also learned that apparently a real estate lady had come to visit and wanted to adopt him, however, his prognosis is so bad that they don't think he will live until then....BROKE MY HEART!!! He is such a sweetie and so young...so not fair. He would be able to live a great life with a caring women who could support him financially...:( I'm sure I'll be a wreck tomorrow when I have to say goodbye to him since it will be our last time at the orphanage...but I'll talk about that when the time comes:)
My day has been great and we're all heading out for servesas now:) So hope you are all having a great night and I'll be back soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment